Monday, December 10, 2012

brief history of Bawang Assan

I'm a mix blooded guy from Sibu. not that exotic..hehe...my dad was a malay while my mom was an iban from bawang assan.
just now i saw a television programme mentioning that my great grandparent (according to my mom) Untai and Maringai was responsible for opening the settlement at Bawang Assan. According to the story, they originated from Batang Lemanak (somewhere in Sri Aman or Simanggang as the old people mentioned it). Then, they made their way to Sibu, first passing by Spaoh and even crossing Sungai Durin. After that they continued and settled at a place called Bukit Lan (it was still under the rule of Rajah Brooke) and they start planting paddy. Then, they changed to rubber tapping and migrated to a nearby area which is now known as Bawang Assan.


this is where my grandmother and my uncle live..Rumah Jimbun James..contrary to what people think..no, we do not stay on top of tree...

Nice to know that your grandparents achieved something. My father's great grandparents were also responsible for the Malay community here in Sibu (not opening the settlement, though they are one of the three largest Malay family in Sibu, apart from the Wan's Family and Abang's Family). But its a story to be told some other time....

No comments:

Post a Comment